Local Drywall Company
Drywall installation and repair is one of the most labour intensive jobs that requires a special set of skills and loads of expertise. Like painting, any imperfections in the job will crop up long after the craftsmen have left your home.
And owing to the complex nature of the installation, repair may not be possible or may be very difficult, requiring you to take down the entire sheet and reinstall a new one.
This makes it crucial for you to take your time in hiring the right drywall company. The last thing you want to work with is a ‘fly by night’ company with unskilled labour for your drywall installation.
Finding Drywall Companies
The first and most important task is to create a list of probable drywall contractors that you’d want to speak to. Use the internet, word-of-mouth and home building suppliers as references. If any of your friends or someone in the neighborhood has recently remodelled their home and it involved drywall installation, then visit their place to see the quality of work.
A properly finished wall should look like a single seamless flow that is free of any warps or bows. A shoddy job will show easily in the form of imperfections in either the framework or the finish.
Review websites can give you an idea of contractors in your area and also show recent ratings of their work.
Speak to the company
Once you have shortlisted a few contractors, its time to speak to them to assess their skills and experience. It is recommended to have a questionnaire handy while meeting any contractor.
Here are a few questions that you’d want to ask a drywall contractor.
- Does the company have its own crew or does it outsource the work?
- How experienced is the taper in the crew?
- How long has the company been in the business?
- Can they provide references of their recently completed work?
- Is the company listed with the Better Business Bureau?
- Is the company licensed and bonded?
- Are the crew members insured?
- What are the inclusions in the job?
- What tools do they use for the drywall installation?
- How would they go about the job?
- Who supervises the work done by the craftsmen?
- Will they clean the premises and take the garbage with them?
- How soon would they complete the job?
- The estimated cost
- Payment methods and schedule
The answers to these questions should help you determine how experienced and knowledgeable the drywall contractor is. Always remember that a professional will be more than happy to answer these questions. It also helps to weed out the inexperienced and unscrupulous service providers.
Choose the right contractor
Depending on the answers, the communication and the comfort level between you and the contractor, choose one from the companies that you shortlisted.
Get a written and signed estimate with all the inclusions in the job. You will have to make some deposit as part of the payment. But never pay upfront for the complete job.
With these tips, you should be able to hire the right drywall company for your home remodel.