One of the biggest decisions concerning home renovation is the use of drywall. It has become a very popular material in both residential and commercial buildings. When applied and finished correctly, drywall offers numerous perks. Not only is it affordable, it is pretty straightforward in its installation.
In order to appreciate the benefits, it will help to understand how drywall is actually installed. Every tool used for installation, taping and finishing serves a purpose. The installation process involves screwing the panels to the wall and ceiling frames using special screws or nails. The panels are available in different sizes and thicknesses. The panels should be installed with no gaps between them. The mudding is typically done with two or three layers, with each layer given an adequate amount of time to dry. Sanding is required if any of mudding appears rough.
Here are some of the benefits of having drywall ceilings and walls in your home:
- Appearance is one of the best things about this material. Homeowners and builders no longer have to rely on plaster walls. Plaster was difficult to perfect. While drywall isn’t necessarily easy to master, it’s not as time consuming or as difficult as other interior building materials. When properly installed and finished, drywall looks great.
- It’s a very economical solution for home building and remodeling. Even quality drywall doesn’t cost a lot. You get a lot for your money, as the value of your home is increased. If you ever get tired of the way a room looks, you can simply paint the drywall. This will save you some money in the long run.
- You can easily come up with a custom décor. You don’t have to settle with a particular color or finish. If you don’t know what kind of décor you want to go with right now, you can simply leave the wall at “level 0” The levels go up to 5, which refers to a wall that is completely done with all of the paint coats needed. You can add or change anything at any time.
- The simplicity of this product makes it easy to repair. Maintenance services are readily available. Many repairs, such as small cracks, are minor enough that you can handle yourself. All it takes is a drywall patch kit. In most cases, there is no need to replace entire sections of the wall or ceiling. As long as you use mold-resistant panels, you won’t have to worry as much about mildew buildup.
- Thicker sheets are made with fire-resistant, moisture-resistant and mold-resistant properties. There are some forms of drywall that have sound dampening qualities as well. No matter which part of the home or building you want to renovate, there is a type of drywall available for each specific requirement.
- If you want an energy-efficient material in your home, you will find it with drywall. It helps retain room temperature and improves insulation in the entire home, more so than other building materials.
While it’s not difficult to install, you still might want to let the experts handle drywall. Taping is something that many homeowners have a bit of trouble with – especially when it comes to stubborn corners.